Menstrual Cup Cleaning Guide
To ensure that your cup lasts a long time please make sure you follow our care instructions:
Before your period: There are a couple of options:
- Take you menstrual cup out of its box or bag and pop it into a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes to ensure that it is sterilized before use. Please watch the pot so you do not forget about it and melt your cup!
- Take your menstrual cup out of its box or bag. Pop a Milton tab in a cup of water and submerge your cup for at least 30 mins.
Your cup is best stored in a ventilated cotton storage bag until your period starts.
During your period: When your remove your menstrual cup to empty you can do either of the following:
- Rinse with fresh water (either in the sink OR you can take a water bottle with you and rinse into the toilet bowl)
- Rinse with fresh water whilst you shower
- Clean with a Menstrual Cup Cleansing Wash
- Rinse with an antibacterial soap (commercially produced soap may reduce the life of your cup)
- Rinse with a mixture of water and white vinegar
- Rinse with a silicone friendly cleaner
- If you cannot do either of these just empty your cup and re-insert and clean the next time you empty.
After your period:
- Pop your menstrual cup into a pot of boiling water for 3-5 minutes and then pop back into its cotton storage bag or box until you require it again.
- OR boil it in a open container in the microwave for 3 mins
- OR cold sterilize in Milton solution.
- Your cup is best stored in the ventilated cotton storage bag supplied with your cup.
Images Copyright © 2017 My Cup NZ Ltd